I started running when I was 14 and ran my first marathon at age 17. I ran track and cross country in high school. I decided to run a marathon again when I got pregnant in 1996, but not until after I finished having children, so in 2003-2004 I trained for and ran the Toledo Glass City Marathon. About 6 weeks after that, I started having some problems with plantar fasciitis. That caused me to take 10 months off of running but I continued to do some kind of workout every day (mostly biking and swimming). Now that I am running again, I did my first triathlon on Sept. 17, 2006. Participating in triathlons is a bit more expensive than just being a runner, so since I have sunk some money into the sport, I try to do one or two triathlons each year.My running/triathlon links:
- Columbus Marathon Someday, I would like to try this one.
- Hawk Island Tri I have participated in this event every year since its existance and plan to continue as long as I am able.
- Ken Long and Associates My dad is a race director, this is his web site. My son is his webmaster and graphic designer. My mom does all of the office work, and I have donated some calculators.
- Mid Michigan Track Club The local running club that I participate with occassionally. I probably wouldn't be married with 3 little girls if it weren't for this club. My husband and I would meet at the club's workouts and do some running together. I guess you could say that is how we dated. Even our honeymoon was a race on Machinac Island.
- Playmakers The local sporting goods store that supports running by organizing races and having staff on hand that is trained to help you find the right shoes, etc. Very much like the store my dad used to own in Indiana before he became a full time race director and training class organizer.
- Run Okemos Information about Okemos Track and Field and Cross Country. This site includes information about children's running programs in the community. I have recently gotten involved with helping out at the high school track practices.
- Sam Costa Half Marathon I ran this race in 1980 when I was training for my first marathon and again in 2004 while training for my second marathon. I also ran it in 1985 and again in 2006. This is a small half marathon that I enjoy participating in because it brings me back to my Indiana roots. I will probably run this race again in the future.
- USAT This is the official governing organization for United States triathlons.
- USAT Mideast Someday, I may compete in one of these events.
Check the weather before you run to decide what to wear. Change the zip code in the address bar to your local zip code.
One sport that I miss but hope to be able to do again someday is waterskiing. I don't have the money for a boat yet, but someday... I started water-skiing as a kid, but it took me forever to get the hang of it. I would take friends camping and waterskiing with my family and all of my friends would learn on their first day out. It took me two years to learn, but once I got started I never wanted to quit. When I was in high school, I worked for my grandpa in the summer time and about once a week we would take off work and go skiing. Someday, I am sure I will have some photos here with me and my boat and if I get a waterproof camera, maybe I'll even post some photos of me and my family skiing.